Mission of the Wisconsin Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf
The principle purposes of this organization are to initiate, sponsor, promote and execute policies and activities that will further the profession of interpretation of American Sign Language and English and the transliteration of English in all modes.
To encourage and promote training opportunities for interpreters through:
- Cooperation with existing Interpreter Training/Preparation Programs in the education and development of oral and sign language interpreters.
- Continuing education through workshop and training series.
- To advocate for consistent interpretation of and compliance with the RID Code of Professional Conduct.
- To educate and promote public awareness to hearing, hard of hearing, D/deaf and deaf-blind consumers about the role and function of interpreters and the RID Code of Professional Conduct.
- To maintain a current listing of WisRID members along with their interpreting credentials. This list shall be made available to appropriate persons and/or agencies upon request.
- To provide communication networks and resources for and among professional interpreters.
- To work cooperatively with RID, Inc., the Wisconsin Association of the Deaf (WAD), the Office for Deaf and Hard of Hearing (ODHH), and other entities that serve D/deaf, deaf-blind and hard of hearing communities to promote enhanced communication accessibility.
- To support and promote RID's system of certification in order to strive for competent interpreter services.
- To advocate at an organizational level, for legislation which supports the rights of interpreters as well as D/deaf, deaf-blind, and hard of hearing people.
- To disseminate information to the membership in a timely manner.
- To raise funds to support the purposes and activities of WisRID.